Daughter of the Forest (The Sevenwaters Trilogy, #1)

Daughter of the Forest  (The Sevenwaters Trilogy, #1) - Juliet Marillier I have three words to describe this book....beautiful, heartbreaking and enchanting! Okay maybe four words if you count and...

This book is something special and it has made its way to my "favorite books ever" shelf! If this is a book you're interested in then stop right now and read it. It's that good. Juliet Marillier is an amazing writer and this will be a book that I will never forget. She creates amazing imagery through her writing and you'll find yourself swept off to another land in no time.

Sorcha and her six brothers live with their father Lord Colum of Sevenwaters. They had lost their mother as young children, but otherwise lived a happy life. Then one day this jerk wad of a woman (Lady Oonagh) decides to marry their father. The father suddenly seems to be placed under a spell that nobody can break.

"There was something deeply unsettling about Diamid's fawning admiration, and my fathers readiness to be overruled by his lady. And by the way the servants were scurrying about nervously, as if afraid of taking a wrong step."

"But if felt bad, not as if she just wanted to get to know us, but - I shivered. I don't know. As if she would store the information and use it somehow. Use it against us."

The family is torn to shreds after the wedding. Lady Oonagh placed a spell on more than just Lord Colum and it's up to Sorcha to make it all right again. We are taken on a heartbreaking but beautiful adventure, while Sorcha does everything in her power to make her family whole again.

This is not an easy read. It's kind of a heavy read and be prepared to want to punch (or worse) some of the characters. Even though things get difficult and hard to read, this is a very rewarding story. There were at least two times that I just wanted to give up because there was so much despair. You'll be so happy once you finish this book, so don't give up if you feel like I did during those chapters. It did take me a bit to get completely absorbed into the story, but once I was, there was no going back.

My favorite characters in no particular order were: Sorcha (of course), Finbar, Simon and Red. I'm moving on to the next book because I must know more about this world and these characters. I can't stress this enough...If you like this genre then read the book!

"You cannot do this. It is wrong, all wrong. How can you even think - oh, for words to tell him properly. The threads of this story were tangling, knotting, falling into chaos. It was one thing to break the pattern, another to tear it boldly apart."

Oh and I must warn you that there's a small bit about rape in this book. It didn't overly bother me personally (I didn't like it of course), but it may bother you, so beware.

Also, I've been on the search for a mind-blowing book. I've been grabbing random books and hoping for the best. I started this before the hunt but I'd definitely consider Daughter of the Forest as being a winner.