The Woodlands

The Woodlands - Lauren Nicolle Taylor I varied between 3 and 4 stars until the last half of the book.

The Woodlands was the second random book that I picked up in my search for a mind-blowing book. I don't care about the genre, I just want a mind-blowing book. Anyway, while this book was very good, it certainly wasn't mind-blowing. This was an above average read for the dystopian genre and I really enjoyed the story. I ended up really liking the characters and I'm 100% sure that I will continue this series. I think there are already 4 books written. Those books actually have a higher rating than this one.

I can't really give a good description of this book without giving up spoilers. I will say this though....it's starts out very dystopian and ends up becoming more of a survival story. I enjoyed both aspects of it. The last half of the book was my favorite though, due to the survival parts. There's also some romance, but no love triangles.

Somewhere somehow...this book got compared to The Hunger Games.

image

I've read a lot of reviews about people being angry that this book is nothing like The Hunger Games. I'm not sure where that comparison came from but no, this book is nothing like that. It's something else entirely on it's own.

The main character is a bit of a pain at times. She's an angry girl that has a bad outlook on life. I'd probably have a bad attitude as well if I had lived the life she lived. The society that these people live in is brutal. Her character does grow a lot, so don't give up on her to soon. I'm assuming this is why people like the later books better. I'd strongly advise against reading this if you loathe those types of characters.

Overall, it was a great little dystopia and right now it's free on Kindle (or has been for awhile). It didn't read like a free book at all. I'm glad I finally gave this book a chance. I'm actually really excited to get into the next book.