Born of Night

Born of Night  - Sherrilyn Kenyon This is my first Sherrilyn Kenyon book and I doubt it will be my last. Born of Night is unlike anything that I have ever read. This author knows how to world build without bogging down the entire book with description.

I would describe Born of Night as science fiction chick-lit. Those two genres mixed together make for a pretty awesome book. The MC is a famous ballet dancer. Her father is high on the ladder in their planets political system. Assassins have placed a price on the MC's head and suddenly she is running for her life. Her father hires the most notorious assassins in the galaxy to save his daughter.

You'll find a lot of different races and planets in this book. There are antique fighter ships and some pretty awesome fight scenes. You have all of these classic science fiction concepts but the sci-fi isn't heavy in this book. I love the space opera type setting but usually it is very technical (with TONS of description). I recently finished reading Dune and Born of Night was completely on the other end of the spectrum.

This is a series but there are no cliffhangers at the end. You can read the first book and be done with the series if you want. I don't feel a huge need to read the second book because it is entirely about a different character (I read this in the excerpt for book 2).

Oh, I really want a Lorrina (hope I'm spelling that right) now! They are the best space house pets ever.